Service Member of the Year and Service Member of the Month
The Jacksonville Onslow Chamber of Commerce, Military Affairs Committee (MAC) sponsors a monthly Service Member of the Month (SMOM) and an annual Service Member of the Year (SMOY) recognition award for the Camp Lejeune/New River area. This recognition is based on the attributes of exceptional professional performance, particularly valuable or unique service, and/or participation in community projects, services and/or affairs. The recipients are selected from organizational and tenant commands located in Onslow County on a rotational basis.
The award presentation is conducted at the monthly MAC social, which is normally held on the third Monday of each month aboard Camp Lejeune or New River Air Station. During this meeting the selected honoree is introduced to the full Military Affairs Committee comprised of 90 civilians, and 119 active duty military billets. His/her immediate superior and/or SNCOIC, and will provide the opening remarks followed by the SMOM’s receiving of a list of gifts provided by the generous MAC members.
Award Prerequisites. Nominees must meet the following prerequisites to be considered for this award:
1. Grade of sergeant/petty officer second class (E-5) or below;
2. Outstanding performance of military duties;
3. Duties performed are of a nature to be particularly valuable to the command and/or that the individual’s performance is exceptional to the degree that it clearly distinguishes them from their peers;
4. Outstanding record of conduct with no discreditable service book entries in the past year;
5. Recommended for reenlistment;
6. Passed service essential subjects;
7. Qualified with table of organization weapon;
8. Passed branch of service Physical Fitness Test and Combat Physical Test, if applicable; and
9. Exceptional personal appearance and military bearing.
Service Member of Months Gifts:
On behalf of all the members of the Military Affairs Committee of the Jacksonville•Onslow Chamber of Commerce, please accept and enjoy the following very special gifts:
- Framing of the Beirut Memorial Print compliments of Jones-Onslow EMC and Marine Federal Credit Union.
- The Beirut Memorial Print is compliments of Ed Garris of First Nationa Bank.
- A $100 Visa Gift Card compliments of John Glover, Bo Honeycutt, and Michael Stokes at Coastal Enterprises and Col Dave Jones, USMC (Ret).
- A Gift Certificate for Tideline Marine, Inc. compliments of Boyd Tisdale and Kevin McConnell of Tisdale, McConnell & Bardill Attorneys-at-Law and Bill Tarplee of Tideline Marine.
- A custom engraved K-Bar, compliments of Patrick Punzalan at GEICO Auto Insurance.
- A commemorative brick in your honor to be placed in the walkways of the Museum of the Marine compliments of Donna McHugh of Courtyard by Marriott.
- An Amazon Echo Dot compliments of Brandon Mills of SIA Group.
- A tactical backpack and a Hydro Flask water bottle compliments of Mat Raymond Jr. and Mat Raymond III of Sanders Ford.
- A Gift Card to Duck’s Restaurant compliments of Matt Ray of Ray Properties and ABA Rental Properties.
- A Flag Shadow Box, courtesy of Robbie Yates of National Dodge.
- A custom made wooden pen set engraved, compliments of Scott Rainville of First Command Financial Services.
- Breakfast for two Gift Certificate at the USO of NC and a t-shirt, compliments of the USO of NC.
- Flowers or Gift Certificate, compliments of Flowers on the Move.
- An custom embroidered Duffel Bag compliments of Logan Sosa of Comfort Heating & Cooling.
- A $50 Gift Card compliments of SgtMaj Tim Haney, USMC (Ret) of USAA
- A Texas Roadhouse Gift Certificate compliments of Rob Daniels of Texas Roadhouse.
- A complimentary night stay at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville, NC courtesy of Miguel Murillo of Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville, NC.
- A Jacksonville Onslow Sports Commission hat compliments of Scott Smith of Jacksonville Onslow Sports Commission.
- A $100 Visa Gift Card courtesy of SgtMaj Scott Booth, USMC (Ret) of Airstream Renewables.
- Admission for two to Cracked it! Escape Games, compliments of Brian Vinciguerra of Cracked it! Escape Games
By being selected as the Service Member of the Year, you are now a candidate for Service Member of the Year, which is awarded February. The Service Member of the Year will be awarded a 4-day Caribbean Cruise for two compliments of:
- Charles Efird at Modern Extermination
- Michael Lazzara at Vital Signs & Lazzara’s Pizza
- Don Williamson of Moore Buick and GMC
- Millie Chalk of Duke Energy
- Jason Mayer of Budget Blinds
- Jeff Serbus of Liberty Tax & Serbus Financial Group
- And $500 dollars in spending money compliments of George &Rosie Jones of The Jones Companies
- A G-Shock watch compliments of Patrick Punzalan at GEICO
- Non-Commissioned Officer’s Sword compliments of SgtMaj Joe Houle, USMC (Ret) of the Museum of the Marine