SERVice member of the month and service member of the year
Pictured Above: Sgt. Danielle Grimshaw, a native of Norfolk, VA, was recognized as the Jacksonville·Onslow Chamber of Commerce Military Affairs Committee Service Member of the Month for November and has been selected as Service Member of the Year for her role as the Intelligence Chief for 8th Engineer Support Battalion.
The Jacksonville Onslow Chamber of Commerce, Military Affairs Committee (MAC) sponsors a monthly Service Member of the Month (SMOM) and an annual Service Member of the Year (SMOY) recognition award for the Camp Lejeune/New River area. This recognition is based on the attributes of exceptional professional performance, particularly valuable or unique service, and/or participation in community projects, services and/or affairs. The recipients are selected from organizational and tenant commands located in Onslow County on a rotational basis.
The award presentation is conducted at the monthly MAC social, which is normally held on the third Monday of each month aboard Camp Lejeune or New River Air Station. During this meeting the selected honoree is introduced to the full Military Affairs Committee comprised of 90 civilians, and 119 active duty military billets. His/her immediate superior and/or SNCOIC, and will provide the opening remarks followed by the SMOM’s receiving of a list of gifts provided by the generous MAC members.
By being selected as a Service Member of the Month, the individual is also a candidate for Service Member of the Year.
Service Member of the Month / Year Award Prerequistes
Nominees must meet the following prerequisites to be considered for this award:
1. Grade of sergeant/petty officer second class (E-5) or below;
2. Outstanding performance of military duties;
3. Duties performed are of a nature to be particularly valuable to the command and/or that the individual’s performance is exceptional to the degree that it clearly distinguishes them from their peers;
4. Outstanding record of conduct with no discreditable service book entries in the past year;
5. Recommended for reenlistment;
6. Passed service essential subjects;
7. Qualified with table of organization weapon;
8. Passed branch of service Physical Fitness Test and Combat Physical Test, if applicable; and
9. Exceptional personal appearance and military bearing.
Service Member of the Month Gifts
In support of the Service Member of the Month (SMOM), community members and business provide gifts for the SMOM to enjoy. The Military Affairs Committee would like to thank the following for their contributions:
- Framing of the Beirut Memorial Print compliments of Jones-Onslow EMC and Marine Federal Credit Union.
- The Beirut Memorial Print is compliments of Ed Garris of First National Bank.
- A $100 Visa Gift Card compliments of John Glover, Bo Honeycutt, and Michael Stokes at Coastal Enterprises and Col Dave Jones, USMC (Ret).
- A Gift Certificate for Tideline Marine, Inc. compliments of Boyd Tisdale and Kevin McConnell of Tisdale, McConnell & Bardill Attorneys-at-Law and Bill Tarplee of Tideline Marine.
- A custom engraved 12oz Tumbler compliments of Patrick Punzalan at GEICO Auto Insurance.
- A commemorative brick in your honor to be placed in the walkways of the Museum of the Marine compliments of Jeb Brown, Brown Proprieties, and George Papastrat, Tideline Marine.
- An Amazon Echo Dot compliments of Brandon Mills of SIA Group.
- A tactical backpack and a Hydro Flask water bottle compliments of Mat Raymond Jr. and Mat Raymond III of Sanders Ford.
- A Gift Card to Duck’s Restaurant compliments of Matt Ray of Ray Properties and ABA Rental Properties.
- A Flag Shadow Box, courtesy of Robbie Yates of National Dodge.
- A custom made wooden pen set engraved, compliments of Anthony Harvey of First Command Financial Services.
- Flowers or Gift Certificate, compliments of Flowers on the Move.
- A Texas Roadhouse Gift Certificate compliments of Rob Daniels of Texas Roadhouse.
- Courtyard Marriot one night stay courtesy of Breanna Leger Regional Manager.
- A Jacksonville Onslow Sports Commission hat compliments of Scott Smith of Jacksonville Onslow Sports Commission.
- Admission for two to Cracked it! Escape Games, compliments of Brian Vinciguerra of Cracked it! Escape Games
- A Gift Bag compliments of Buff City Soap
Service Members of Year Gifts
In support of the Service Member of the Year, community members and business provide gifts for the SMOY to enjoy. The Military Affairs Committee would like to thank the following for their contributions:
A vacation of their choosing compliments of
- Charles Efird at Modern Extermination
- Senator Michael Lazzara at Vital Signs & Lazzara’s Pizza
- Don Williamson of Moore Buick and GMC
- Derrick Remer of Duke Energy
- Jason Mayer of Budget Blinds
- Amy Goss of Guild Mortgage
$500 compliments of George & Rosie Jones of The Jones Companies
A G-Shock watch compliments of Patrick Punzalan at GEICO
Non-Commissioned Officer’s Sword compliments of SgtMaj Joe Houle, USMC (Ret) of the Museum of the Marine